SportBikes.org
February 23, 2018, 11:22:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: There is no life guard at the gene pool.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lorenzo and Stoner won't race in Japan?  (Read 2570 times)
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2011, 12:05:48 PM »

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/171288/1/stoner_lorenzo_wont_go_to_japanese_motogp.html

Interesting!

Surprised me.  Going to Japan is more dangerous than racing at 200 MPH.
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 02:00:08 PM »

I think it's like going to Mexico.  Sure only 3,000 people got killed in drug wars in Juarez last year.  Do I want to go race there? Not even Baja, way over there on the West coast.

I can see it for other reasons, like they way the gov didn't own up to all the problems.  That makes me wonder about how safe the basics are, food and water.  I guess you could take a geiger counter with you to Japan.  Stray bullet detectors are hard to come by so I'll still have to pass on Mexico.
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »

Or like my avatar.... I believe that was in Japan as well.

Not so sure about Mexico, I used to really enjoy trips down there.  My riding friends I introduced to Mexico a few years ago from Colorado Springs when down there last year... They where having a nice breakfast at a cafe in Creel (West of Chihuahua at the head of Copper Canyon) when a car goes speeding through town.  Behind them was a pickup truck with a bunch of Federalies in hot pursuit.

After a leisurely coffee they suited up and headed down the road towards Copper Canyon only to come across what was obviously an ambush site where the Police where suckered to and then slaughtered.  Needless to say, they being on dual purpose bikes made quick tracks as fast as they could back across the border...  Not without looking over their shoulder the whole way.

It's hard to believe that it has gotten so bad.   I always loved Mexico and the people there have always been wonderful to me.  I still have a business friend in Mexico City but am in no hurry to go see him again.

So back to Japan....  Looks like Dorna wants to run the race as planned http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2011/fim+statement+about+japan

"Based on this information the FIM and Dorna Sports will announce later this week that, subject to there being no further serious incidents, the Grand Prix of Japan will take place on October 2 as planned. "
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 05:46:14 PM by okd » Logged
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 09:01:28 AM »

I didn't know the track location in reference to the reactor before a few days ago.  I guess the guys could heliport in and when they need to ride Roll Eyes But if one Yamaha or Repsol rider doesn't go does the rest of the team?
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 06:21:08 PM »

It will be interesting to see how strategy plays out.  With 3 races AFTER the Japan race one would have to be very confident that setting out a race isn't going to cost you the championship.  It would be completely different if you had a 75 point or better lead.  Then you could just blow it off but both Stoner and Lorenzo sitting out a race.... Hmmm I'll believe it when I see it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: