SportBikes.org
February 21, 2018, 05:37:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: There is no life guard at the gene pool.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Indy 2012  (Read 4650 times)
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2012, 09:06:22 PM »

I have power run and tested with the GPS and all is good.  I need to get a few hundred miles on the bike this weekend so I can switch to synthetic oil.  Are you back in PA again?
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 08:05:18 AM »

Yep, it took me a bit longer to get home...  I left after the services on Tuesday afternoon and took back roads to Ponca City, OK where I spent the night.  I got up in the morning and continued back roads till I got to Springfield, MO where I didn't see any back roads that were reasonably quick and got on the Interstate.

Things were going well but it was hot as hell and finally, just past St Louis I couldn't take the heat anymore. I pulled into a dive motel at 1:00 PM, turned on the air conditioner and took a nap.  I got up at about 7:00 PM and got on the Interstate again heading home.  Wasn't too bad but I didn't pull in to home until 5:30 AM.

Still, there was lots of cops through IL and IN but running just a slight bit faster than traffic didn't cause any problems.

My BMW now has 18K miles and is due for valve adjustment and tires.  I'm not sure what I want to do with the valve adjustment as BMW wants something on the order of $800 (so now I understand that BMW stands for Bring Massive Wallet).  It doesn't look too hard and I could probably do it in a day if I didn't find any out of adjustment. If I needed shims, it would mean ordering them and I'd be down for a few weeks. I may just have to take it to the shop and pay the price.

Of course that means that would leave me with the Ducati for Indy.  Nothing wrong with that but as you remember going to Salt Lake City, it sure is hard on my ass and had to stop at Walmart to buy knee pads to use as seat cushion.

So the hot news is Rossi is going back to Yamaha. With all the problems Lorenzo gave him before, I doubt if it will solve his problems.

Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 02:52:56 PM »

Yeah, I don't think Rossi is going to be back 'up-front' consistently again.  I would like to see how Spies would do on a Honda.  It will be interesting to see what Duc does with the new owners. Frankly, SBK is way more competitive than motogp right now.  Did you catch Silverstone (race one)?

I am hoping to make it into OK on Thursday knight.  If I can hang tuff I might make it to Indy Friday night rather than Saturday morning.

I'll text you locations.   I just swapped phones and got an android.
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 06:39:34 PM »

Load up Latitude on your Droid and send me an invite.  I sent you one from my phone... it will make it easy to hookup.

Called the dealer and asked about the service which includes rear drive oil change, engine oil, flush brakes, coolant, new air filter, new plugs, new valve cover gasket, and check and adjust valves as required. $350 parts, $675 labor, plus shop fees and taxes took it to $1133.39.

Sounds like a great way to spend a rainy weekend Roll Eyes

Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 08:37:13 PM »

Yeah, odds are your valves are within specs.  The interval for most modern sport (high revving) is the 20k mark.  I would guess you can get shims pretty easy and from a 3rd party.  You haven't replaced the stock filter with a K&N yet?  I did that within 100 miles.  I love it on the KX450 too.

I'll get Latitude loaded, but I have issue with Google's information gathering.  Fucking Nazis.
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 06:49:38 PM »

And you think google doesn't already have you pegged?  They know what you buy, where you shop, who you know, even what you think.  The Nazis never had it so good.

Don't forget this is a German bike, right from the nazi homeland.

Shims.... hah...

They used buckets of different thickness...  No shims...

Even getting the coils out of the head require a special tool.  I'm told they break real easy if you don't have the tool.

I figure it's going to take a deep and very thin wall socket to get to the plugs.

So the lowers on the bike come of, then the radiator before you get to the head.  It looks like it is slanted far enough forward that it shouldn't be to crazy getting to the valve train. They have a hex end on the crank behind the LF cover that should make it easy to turn the the motor for checking valves. 

The old ZX12 was tough with the frame right on top of the head and no room for fingers, much less the feeler gauge.  There just was no room for anything and turning the rear wheel sucks for trying to get the exact valve gap.  It was such a pain, that it has been about 50K miles since I've touched it.
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:43:55 AM »

I talked to Wendell and he may be joining us.  He is going to be in Columbus training for his new job for 3 weeks.  If he can head over he will. 
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 10:59:08 AM »

Since the BMW is waiting on a valve inspection, I think I will be bringing the Ducati as a trailer queen  Huh  Since I will be going through Columbus on the way, all he needs do is whistle and I can provide a ride.

Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 07:29:19 AM »

WTF, need to mark this day down on the calendar of 'WTF'.

Odds are Wendell will be running late, probably Saturday, may late.
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 06:45:04 PM »

Got the bike packed yet?

I was supposed to be at a seminar tomorrow in Solon, OH but we had a server die and I am going to take care of that so it doesn't screw with the Indy trip.

Enjoy the ride!
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 06:31:43 AM »

I have a pile of stuff that will fit into my trunk.  I'll be leaving tonight around six. 
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 11:46:17 AM »

This morning in Amarillo.
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 09:27:06 PM »

OKD, I had great time.  I didn't make it back until 7:30pm.  I ended logging 1532 miles on the return.  I made it Tulsa Sunday night.  I'm really glad you could make it.
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 05:10:03 PM »

That's a serious Iron Butt ride.. We should have done the documentation.

Now you have to do it all over again  Shocked

I really enjoyed seeing you again, even if we did hear the Spanish National Anthem an awful lot of times  Shocked

I just got a letter from the Indy Speedway with all kinds of offers if we want to buy tickets for next year.  Even with the discounts and the deals they are offering I am still thinking next year we do something different.

South Dakota when Sturgis is not around is neet, then there is the "Ride to the Sun" that goes around Yellowstone that really rocks, continue a little to the north into Montana and you have Glacier National Park that feeds over to Idaho's Lulu canyon.  All of which are really some of the best motorcycle roads in North America.

Something to dream about Grin
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 07:54:27 PM »

That sounds like a plan.  We will just have to workout the details.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: