SportBikes.org
February 23, 2018, 11:34:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: There is no life guard at the gene pool.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BMW K1600 GT Valve Inspection  (Read 1730 times)
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2012, 06:45:02 PM »

After taking about an hour to remove all the plastic, another 30 minutes to drain and drop the radiator you are presented with the valve cover.  It's not too bad but the 4 torx screws at the top of the cover really don't have much clearance and about all you can do is use a small stubby torx driver with a box end wrench around it to turn it, 90 degrees at a time.  I probably took another hour labeling all the wires, coils, and taking my time getting the cover off.  We won't talk about the torx bit I dropped down the spark plug cavity on cylinder 3, that added about 30 minutes to the task.

With the cover off, the BMW K1600 GT is really easy do check the valves. There is a small cover on the left side of the motor which provides access to the end of the crank and it is easy to turn to get each of the valves in the right spot for checking.  The intake are set tight at 0.13 to 0.23 mm and the exhaust at 0.23 to 0.33 mm.  You need a true metric feeler gauge and not a SAE with metric markings do do it right.  It is a snap compared to my Ducati.

So all 24 valves were in spec.  One exhaust was right at the 0.33 mm loose limit but the rest were right in the middle.  I'm not going to worry about it.

The cams all looked very good. No scoring, no pits, all very clean and shinny.  I like this motor...  It's going to be a long time before I worry about the valves again.

The plugs in this bike are weird.  I guess at $18 apiece they better be.  All looked very good to me, nice color, very uniform and no deposits.  Still, I already ordered new ones and I will wait to put it back together as it is a PIA getting to them once the bike is back together.

I also ordered a new valve cover gasket which was terribly over priced at $97 but I didn't damage it and will save it for later.

With a little luck I will have it back to on the road by next weekend Grin
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 07:53:25 PM »

Life is good!
Jonniejune

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »

There are cheaper or not.

lollizaspy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 10:21:04 PM »

As a web reader I'm not very useful here.

Joeyjakkrit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 03:30:23 AM »

It was a good read. I read it very impressively to read this useful content.

Jukkarinut

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 02:23:03 AM »

My car's valve is having some problems. How can I check? Can you tell me?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: