SportBikes.org
February 21, 2018, 05:36:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: There is no life guard at the gene pool.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: MotoGP Apri 21st  (Read 8556 times)
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:04:13 PM »

So are we down for this?

Just a tad over two months away.  Time to get everything sorted out.
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »

Yes indeed!  Wendell is still down for also. 
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:48:14 PM »

Anybody figured out where to stay?  When are you planning on arriving? You riding or flying?

Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:53:03 AM »

I am riding, Wendell is flying.  Got no idea on when I am showing up or where to stay.  I am guessing I'll show up Friday afternoon/evening.
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 05:54:05 PM »

I likely won't be able to leave until Friday morning.  I have tickets to a show in Pittsburgh on Thursday night that I bought for wiffy and I last summer.  Its 1428 miles according to Google. It should not be a problem to be there by Saturday noon or before. 

So we better start looking for a place to stay, just looked and the Super 8 for that weekend is $237....  that's nuts

okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »

Just an idea... there are some cabins about 30 miles away with 3 beds for $110...  Interested?
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 07:42:55 PM »

I am checking airbnb to see whats out there.  We went to Seattle and got a great deal on a condo on www.vrbo.com.  I'll give Wendell call in a few minutes too.  But I am OK with the distance.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:04:18 PM by Lou » Logged
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 07:49:45 AM »

Hey Wendell, check this out..

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/bastrop/fees-facilities/cabins

okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 09:29:50 AM »

I just called, guess we weren't the first to think of that.  They are all booked for the April 19-21 time frame.  Apparently all the other state parks in the area have the same problem.

After riding 1500 miles, a bed would be nice but if we need to bring a tent and a sleeping bag, I guess you do what you need to do.

I've found that Hotelsone.com usually beats Expedia and other motel search engines... There is a La Quinta about 40 miles away for $109 right now.
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 06:28:11 PM »

Hey OKD, I text'd PJ and Will but have not heard anything from them.  Wendell should be chiming in pretty quick.

He was checking his schedule to see when he could get in.  I can make Friday or Saturday depending on when everyone else is coming in. 

Are we going to go for the reserved seating option?
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 10:01:15 PM »

hey, San Marcos is very far and the rooms are still going at reasonable prices.  San Antonio and Austin are 80 miles apart, if it is any easier flying into one those airports.
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 06:16:58 AM »

I also have an Aunt and several cousins near by.  Showing up in the area without seeing them creates family issues but to be honest, arriving on Saturday and leaving Sunday doesn't give much time for anything but the race.  I will catch a rift of crap if they hear I when to Austin without stopping by anyway.

Now I'm not trying to change things but we really don't know where the best seats are, what kind of big screens to keep track of things on the other side of the track, parking, traffic, motels or even if they will have anything to compete with Cannery Row in Monterey during Laguana or Meridian Street during the Indy MotoGP.  Surely the Texas boys will have something to show off but if we are 40 miles out we would likely miss that as well.

Still, April is early in the year.  Wind always sucks in Southern NM that time of the year and it is still cold as hell in the Rocky Mountains to the North.

I am not waffling but watching MotoGP on the Internet and then heading out sometime mid May to the mountains for some riding could be epic too.
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 07:32:34 PM »

Hey OKD, you have a lot more riding in front of you and I can understand that. Your timeline seems extremely condensed too. I do understand we got no idea about what the track layout is like and where the good places are.  The track is on the South side, but 20-30 miles either direction doesn't matter much to me.  Wendell's a big town guy so the driving around part isn't a big deal on him either.  Looks like Wendell and I can make it into Austin on Friday so we have more screw around time.  Your deal is very tight on time with lots of miles.  If you don't want go with that deal,  I can understand and it is totally cool.  Wendell is getting a cage and a we can park our asses in there to go check out evening gathering if you want break from the bike.   Next year when it is WSB and MotoGP I would like to go back and have a better idea of what to do at COA.  More than likely I'll be up for ride in May too!
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 05:39:12 AM »

Snowed again last night... between that and the salt, no riding for me again this weekend.

I'm down for the MotoGP, sounds like a good weekend ride with a nice rest stop in the middle Wink

Let me know where you find to stay and what you want to do for tickets.
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 10:19:45 AM »

You are a road warrior!  I would have pussed out Tongue  I'll get with Wendell.  He said there was a Hilton on the NW that was $100 a nite and the one in San Marcos was $169.  I did hear from PJ this morning, and I'll see how that pans out.  Let's go for reserved seating and then we will have to wait and see how it works out.  I guess I'll do the order so we can get our seats grouped.

I am headed over to Alamagogo this morning for the start of NMDRC season.  I'm just watching this one as my last crash left me a 6-8 week recovery period Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: