SportBikes.org
February 21, 2018, 05:37:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: There is no life guard at the gene pool.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Bones  (Read 3419 times)
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2013, 07:27:54 PM »

Sorry about the old worn out bones there WFO...  Such is life... You and Glenda will spend the summer just watching.

So have you been keeping up with the Daytona Sportbike class?  There has been some good racing and the young bones of Cameron Beaubier are on fire.  I guess the older I get the younger the new guys appear to be.  Even still, that kid needs a shot at Moto2 on his way to MotoGP.

Speaking of old bones and MotoGP...  Rossi sure got caught up in things,,, but then again, he was way back in the pack where lots of things happen that you can get caught up in.  I was really hoping he was going to come back up with the fast guys on his Yamaha but the bottom line is that after 5 races, he had more points riding Ducati last year than he has on his Yamaha this year.  While the new kids need a shot at the top class, there are some who simply retire before it gets ugly.  Maybe Stoner understood this....

Then there is all that's going on with Spies.  Another rash of bad luck  and now Pirro will be on Spies bike at Cataluyna and Max Biagi was called in to help with testing.

Mid Ohio AMA races are July 12-14th with vintage motorcycle days the following weekend... Both are a riot but I don't know if I will get to both.

I however am signed up with the local BMW / Ducati dealer for a track day at Pittsburgh International Raceway (previously known as Beaver Falls).  I haven't done many track days since I moved here but I bet I can keep up in the old bones class Grin  I'll probably take both the ZX12R and the 1098S just for the fun of it.

Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 07:57:19 AM »

I have been watching the AMA stuff and Beaubier was doing well last year also.  MotoGP has been fun to watch this year and I am pissed WBK got shit on for coverage, BeIn TV.  Pavement is cool but the MX series has a stacked field and there are so epic battle going on this season. 

A track day sounds great.  I am going to have to head out to arroyo seca for one on the Aprilla after I rehab. 
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 03:48:11 PM »

So last winter I had a kerosene heater in the garage.  To make a long story short, it started smoking real bad and turned everything in my garage black. Many coats of paint later the garage is ok. I still find the black oily stuff all over everything.  In anticipation I got my leathers out to make sure they were ok before the track day next week.

Yikes, they have the same black oily crap all over them as well.  In side, out side, liners, pads, everything....  You can't even pick them up without turning black.

After calling all over the area I found a shop in Pittsburgh that can clean them in time for my track day... all for only $175 Sad

It is what it is... I dropped them off last night and will pick them up next Wednesday.   With tires and all the bike prep, adding up the cost of a track day is not something one should ever do...

I sure hope it will be good weather. (dry)
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 04:02:43 PM »

Yeah, a set of tires and track fees are way more than heading out to the desert and unloading.  Although my current condition does my statement much juice, but crashing in the desert is usually less painful and way cheaper too!
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 05:31:21 PM »

For some reason it just never worked that way for me....  Every time I get on a dirt bike I eventually end up on my ass...  At least that is the way Glenda sees it. 

She lets me get the craziest and fastest street bikes but for the life of me, she will not let me get another dirt bike.  Like I keep telling her, crashing on the "soft" dirt is a lot better than crashing on a road track at something slightly less than super sonic speeds.  She simply reply's that every time I get on a dirt bike, I crash.  Not so much on the street bikes.  I gave up on that fight a few years ago...

So I am psyched.... I haven't been able to even so much as run the bike through the gears in a long time.  Although there are plenty good twisty roads around here, there is so much traffic and people everywhere you go that you simply can not wring the throttle for more than one or two gears before you have to shut it down.

I NEED some track time...
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 10:26:52 AM »

I must admit I have seen you pull off some pretty funny looking head plants!  Growing up wild and wooly in the SW we were pretty much on our own to do whatever we felt like doing.  Back in the civilized part of the world you definitely need to get your track days in.  I actually was pretty much doing monthly track days before going dirt.  If you got a helmet cam you should get some track time and post it on Youtube. I wish I would have had the camera on when I did my spin-around crash on MLK day. It never looks like it feels, but that was some sensory overload.
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »

Something about face dragger?  Of course then there are lots of stories that come to mind about you as well.

So the ZX12R is serviced, new tires, brakes, with lights removed and all taped up ready to go.  It may have 100K miles with a few sounds from the bottom of the motor that you really don't want to talk about but being at only a couple hundred feet elevation, has more HP here than it did in Colorado.  It's ready to go and still a hand full.

The Duc is also fully serviced with new tires and brakes.  I will just tape up the lights on it before it gets loaded on the trailer.  I'll tech both bikes and just see what feels best.

I did Nelson Ledges a few times a couple of years ago but this will be the first time on Beaver (now known as Pittsburgh International Complex).  It's way over due...

So remember the original helmet cam we had back in the 70's? Complete with the counter weights on the other side of the helmet and the recorder strapped to the seat?  How about the movies we made complete with the little chase scene out on I10...

Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 02:55:18 PM »

I raced at Nelson Ledges, well until I crashed.  I remember the grass was wet.  Going clockwise, turn one about 100mph?  I bounced once on the pavement and then hit the grass.  I wondered if I would ever stop.  The FZ took a beating, but I was just sore.  I guess Ohio really isn't very far from you.  Summit raceway in Virgina is pretty close too.

Have you saved any of that old stuff in a new file format?  I think those Yamaha VHS tapes would be great to see again.
okd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 04:54:48 PM »

The Pittsburgh International Race Complex is top notch and the track is a blast.  Lots of elevation changes and blind corners to learn.  I must be really out of shape because the 20 minute sessions was all I could handle.  I took my camera but forgot the mount (currently on the BMW).  That sucked as there was no way to use the camera without the mount.

It was uneventful but there is a blind corner at the top of a hill that you hit at about 160.  Keeping the front wheel planted firmly so you can negotiate the corner was an issue.  I scared my self a couple of times as I was pushing the front end badly and that turns into a major pucker factor at 160 MPH. I finally learned that at least one trick is to chop the throttle momentarily, set the bike up and then get back on it hard.

Anyway, I don't know where the old VHS tapes are.  I find them every couple of years and yes, they need to be digitized so we have something to watch when we are confined to our walkers Wink

How is recovery coming?
Lou
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 10:07:31 AM »

Oh my-my, you should the camera ready next time!  Sounds like fun.  I got my staples out yesterday, 2 more freaken weeks in a cast on crutches.  Hopefully after that everything is healing on schedule and I get a walking cast.  Did I mention I hate freaken crutches Angry
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: